After missing out in November 2018, the senior band were back in a breezy Torquay for the 73rd Annual SWBBA contest. Build up to the contest had been unusually disjointed, but despite that the band had pulled together a solid performance of Etienne Crausaz’s Sinfonietta Number 3. Most importantly it had provided an opportunity for some former academy & new players to perform in a contest on the difficult Riviera Centre stage. To their and the whole band’s credit everyone performed really well on the day, and were rewarded with a third placed finish.
1st Cambourne Town Band
2nd Roche Brass
4th Helston Town
5th SW Comms
6th Soundhouse Brass
[Top]- Too aggressive and intonation in troms isn’t great. Good cornets. Detail 18 & 19?
- Good effort Solo Horn. Perhaps more space into 
- We miss some of the runs in Euphs & Baris. Bell effects work
- Builds well. Balance in horns is good, just a bit frantic
- Good effort
- Missing detail in the middle of the band. Cornets good.
- Lower dynamics need more care
- Good effort troms!! Drives well in kit!
- Bravo Baris!!
-[Cadenza] Balance is good
[Euph Cadenza] Confident Euph! Well done. Accomp works well
- Check intonation. More 1st & 2nd horn needed
[Cornet Cadenza] Well done!
- Could be smoother & more time space. Just seems hurried.
- Builds well
- Good effort cornets (more back row needed). Good attempt at the detail too.
- This grooves well – rhythms are good! Careful not too much perc.
- Troms good at 
- Time changes work well!
- More horns needed. A touch messy in cornets & euph
-[End] Intonation suffers a tad as we get nearer the end
Good effort on a great piece! There is so much detail in this piece it is difficult to get it all in. The slow movement could have done with more space. Try not to overblow the FFs.
Untidy to open and gets a little hard.
Nice horn at 
Good playing before 
 I don’t hear everything.
Well handled at  It just lacks clarity in semiquavers and 6/8 quavers.
Confident Euph Solo super sound.
Not balanced 
Good cornet cadenza.
Could be smoother around 
Sounding tired around 
Good allegro at 
 not balanced.
Now very tired towards end.
Some impressive playing, but some very loose sections. Solos were excellent.